Rare surviving etched glass street sign for Tower Street, Borough of Holborn, WC2, London. Tower Street (now called Great Tower Street) runs from Eastcheap to the Tower of London. The glass sign would have originally been mounted in a metal frame, but this probably deteriorated and it has been re-mounted in a stained oak frame in the 1930s. The sign has an almost ghost-like appearance to the text, which just adds to the appeal.
Historically Tower Street was the centre of the maritime community, with the Thames, the Navy Office, Customs House and wharves nearby. Diarist Samuel Pepys lived around the corner in Seething Lane in the 1660s, and it was where the Great Fire of London in 1666 was finally extinguished when military engineers blew up houses at the end of the street to form a fire break. Today it is only the tower at All Hallows and the Tower of London that remain from the 17th Century!