Large vintage sign from the River Thames in London. The Thames Conservancy was first formed in 1857 and was the body responsible for maintenance and care of the River Thames, including building locks and collecting tolls. The Conservancy was revised a number of times in its' history, with the final revision in 1932. 1974 saw the Thames Conservancy subsumed into the Thames Water Authority. The sign dates from the 1960s, with obvious signs of use and some small overpainting to keep the edges from rusting out.