Original brass Royal Navy gimbal / ships' compass by W.F. Stanley & Co Ltd. Pattern 0195.TA - dating from circa May 1947 - the original drawings for this piece are held in the Science Museum Archive. William Ford Stanley was a drawing and mathematical instrument maker born in Islington, London in 1829, and trading from 1865 until 1900. W.F. Stanley & Co Ltd was established in 1900 and was in operation into the 1950s before being acquired by Russell Scientific Instruments. This piece is completely original, with a black face, showing a Fleur de Lis and Crown emblem. It shows a serial number of 1108D, which would identify which ship it was salvaged from, and comes with a very rare adjustable viewing lens mounted on a detachable brass ring.
Measures: 27cm diameter x 18cm tall
Available to view at our showroom in Piddlehinton, Dorset - by appointment only